Tuesday, November 11, 2008

NaNoWriMo 2nd week

Something is starting to change in how I write my novel. The characters are finally turning around and telling me to quit ordering them about. They're shoving back at me. They would like me to start making things happen, already. My main character would rather have a better sense of humor. The neighborhood is starting to have actual smells and seasons. The historical setting is like a pair of new loafers that is finally losing its shoe box shape and with creaks and creases is fitting around my imagination.

I still know I'm writing a derivative (American Girls Dolls novella meets A Tree Grows in Brooklyn) bad first draft but there are finally moments, a few scenes, that might actually be seeds of a better second draft. They happen and I feel as if I am merely taking dictation. Cool. But I am behind in word count. I go on vacation with this laptop and despite beaches, pools, rum and fruit blender drinks, allure of just reading mysteries until my brain goes fuzzy as beach foam, and demands of a launch and family reunion, I will write my 2,000 words a day.

No comments: