Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Reading, Chocolates, Reading

I have my addictions, you have yours.

I start out in withdrawal. Irate, jumpy, focusing on negative probable futures fueled by negative actual bank balance... Then I take the object of compulsion--a book--and semi-recline on a pile of pillows. Water and some fruit or chocolates are in easy grazing distance, and after looking at the title page I begin to read. If I am lucky the first paragraph or poem is so good I stop thinking something like this:

"Hmmm, Garamond the usual choice, but here it is handled nicely with the subtle caps and small caps of titles, great white space, and that interesting dingbat next to the folio--is that one of the ornaments from Jenson?"

If I'm no longer thinking like a designer, I'm reading, and actively shaping the author's world in my mind.
An hour later, the plate of strawberries is gone, the water cup empty, and I resurface. I'm calm, relaxed, excited by the story or craft, and most importantly, not snarling.

I didn't have time to read today. Hear my roar. Snort.

1 comment:

Roger Cossey said...

Good afternoon, I picked up your blog courtesy of Google Chocolate Alerts and as you also mentioned Reading I had to take a look. We run a chocolate business based in Reading here in the UK and it did not take me long to realise that we are both talking about different 'Reading's.

Good luck with the writing,



http://chocolatesforchocoholics.wordpress.com/